Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.
– Newt Gingrich
IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve scheduled a tentative 10 man Naxx on Saturday. WeÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re projected to have around 8 players that are capable of reaching that level by then. After that, IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll have no choice but to pug the other 2 slots.
Since IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve hit 80, IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve started working my way through a few heroics to try and get some badges.
Let me tell you, it is not easy.
It has been such a long time since I had to work this hard to heal. I have to drink after every pull. Every cooldown needs to be noticed and taken into account. Every spell cast needs to be carefully thought out. IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m sitting at ~470 mana regeneration with a few quest and instance blues. The rest are filled out with T6. There are times when you have no choice between letting a player die to prevent an overall wipe. ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s absolutely tough.
Over the past few days, I had the opportunity to heal Halls of Lightning and the Occulus (on Heroic since they were the dailies). ThereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a few things to remember:
- We donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t outgear the instance: ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a fresh start for everyone. The playing field has been leveled. IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve resorted to using consumables to help finish off my old stock of TBC food. This goes the same for tanks.
- WeÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re going in blind: We donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t know the instance. I donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t like going into a fight without knowing what IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m up against. I keep WoWhead open and WoWWiki to understand what abilities bosses uses and develop a counter for it. Two things to watch for is debuffs and any special animations on the ground or spells that the bosses use. Watch for the in game boss cues. ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a hard lesson to learn every time.
One thing that most Priests (or all healers) will find when healing any sort of high end instance is that theyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re running out of mana. DonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t forget that it takes more Spirit now then it did back at 70 to reach the same level of mana regen. The amount of Spirit required to reach ~1000 mana regen is much higher then it was at 70.
HereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a few tricks to help out:
- Hymn of Hope: ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s an 8 second channel spell and youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re going to be hard pressed to find time to use it. Observe the boss and find a pattern. See if he has a long cooldown for an ability. Put a shield on the tank, a Renew, and a Prayer of Mending. Top up the rest of the party as best as you can. Hit your Hymn and pray to the highest deity you know that you can maximize the use out of it. You can break it early. I set my personal limit to around 50%. If the tank reaches 50%, IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll break my Hymn and start healing.
- Shadowfiend: Since itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a 5 minute cooldown, this is the first trick in the book IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll use. In the event we wipe, I should have it up for the next attempt.
- Runic Mana Potion: IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll typically blow a potion in conjunction with Hymn of Hope after itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s cast. I donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t try to save it. I try to be liberal with their use.
- Guardian Spirit: DonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t think of it as a healing bonus spell or a way to prevent the person from dying. Think of it as an instant 50% health return. Gauge how much damage the tank takes roughly per hit. If they take 5000 damage blows and your tank is at around 7500, slap the GS up there and stop healing. Watch as the tankÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s health rockets back up to 50% while you spend precious seconds just regenerating mana.
- Pain Suppression: A lot of beginner Priests like to use Pain Suppression when their tank is really low on health. I donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t advise this since they run the risk of tanks dying. I drop Pain Suppression when tanks have near full health. I can stand there and mana regen knowing that my tank is taking reduced damage buying me more time to get more mana.
IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve spent an average of nearly 3 hours per heroic dungeon. IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m way in over my element. But hey, thatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s how Matticus rolls! IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve always been a front line player!
Still looking for Mages, Warlocks, Hunters, Shadow Priests, Shamans and other healers! If you know of any that want to progress, tell them to drop me a line!